Presidio Officer's Club

The Officers’ Club (Building 50) has been restored to once again preside over the San Francisco Presidio. Standing at the head of the Main Parade Ground, the Officers’ Club incorporates the oldest building in San Francisco — an adobe structure from the original El Presidio settlement in 1776 — along with later additions.

JNRA was part of a multidisciplinary team hired to rehabilitate the National Register building and its immediate environs for the 21st century, as what the Presidio Trust envisions as “the Presidio’s living room”. The building include classrooms, galleries, event spaces, and a restaurant — all flowing into outdoor courts — and it uses less energy and water thanks to better day-lighting and ventilation, rainwater harvesting, and similar measures.

The site plan includes universally accessible paths and courtyards; stormwater-treatment features; a revised service entry, loading zone, and street intersection; bike parking; and an improved PresidiGo shuttle stop. Courtyards shared with the Presidio Archaeology Education Center (Building 49) will serve outdoor programs conducted at both buildings, amidst remnants of the original El Presidio foundations. A new western courtyard serves the new restaurant in the historic Arguello room. The renovated rear courtyard serves the new conference facilities in the 1970s addition. And a new lushly planted courtyard for special events was erected by separating the 1970s building addition from the historic structure. An Andy Goldsworthy sculpture is featured on the western wall of this new garden courtyard.

Preservation Design Award, California Preservation Foundation, 2016

San Francisco, CA

$17 Million

1.6 Acres

Client: Presidio Trust

Architects: Perkins + Will

Historic Resource Rehabilitation


Download project PDF